Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bye Bye, Twitter

So I deleted my Twitter account yesterday.

I actually sort of deleted it once before, but being a weak man, I re-enstated it within the grace period that Twitter allows for wishy washy types like me to change their minds. This time, it's a done deal. Not saying I'll never open another Twitter account, but I'm going to stay away for the indefinite future.

I love Twitter. Probably too much. It's a great deal of fun to try to express a thought in 140 characters or less. And it was far more dynamic experience to engage with the 1,800 or so people who were following me there, than jotting my thoughts down here, where they may or may not ever be seen by the 4 people who may or may not still be followers of this blog.

But I realized I didn't like the person I was projecting on Twitter. Twitter had, for me, almost exclusively become a forum to type sarcastic and mean spirited things about liberals generally and Obama specifically. My chief aim in life is to glorify Christ. I am, in John Piper's words, "to make Christ look magnificent." To say that some of my tweets fell short of that is an understatement in the extreme. My heart is prone to sarcasm and bile. I revel in it. I have at times fancied myself an artist of the medium. I have been an idiot and I have harmed the cause of Christ.

And since I'm not the sort of person to tweet things like "Standing in line at TJ Maxx. Sale on bedding!" or the sort of Christian who tweets prayers or verses that no one is going to bother reading, I decided that there was really no use for Twitter anymore.

This is not to say I won't continue to excoriate liberal idiocy on this blog.

It seems like the previous statement should be followed with a "but..." but I really don't have anything to add to that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Geoff, welcome back to the blogosphere. I've missed you and had stopped checking for your posts. You're MUCH better served in the long form...