Thursday, October 16, 2008

What's wrong with Biden?

I don't know, K-Lo. I don't know.

I don't even have to look it up to know that something stinks about Biden's "98%" of small businesses making less than $250K per year. No doubt many small businesses are below this mark, but consider your basic plumber. Any time anything is wrong with my plumbing that I can't fix myself, I know I'm shilling out at least $100, even if the work takes 15 minutes. Now obviously to bill $250K in a year a plumber is going to have make a lot more than $100/hour, or bill a lot more hours than your average 9-5 workweek. Which is where evenings and weekends come in. One time, the shutoff for my water heater broke on a Friday night and an hour of soldering at weekend/overtime rates set me back over $400. Another time a guy quoted me a price of over $1,000 just to install a back up sump pump. Needless to say that time I got one from Home Depot and installed it myself. Now, you get a few time intensive weekend and evening repairs (imagine if a sump pump needed to be installed late on a Saturday night), and the billing goes up considerably. As it does if the plumber reaches a point where he can buy a second truck and hire another guy to help meet some of the demand out there. I'm sure a heck of a lot more than 2% of all small business owners are making more than $250,000. So a heck of a lot more that 2% of entrepreneurs are going to suffer under an Obama/Biden administration.

A major point that gets overlooked bandying about this "$250K" figure: A web designer working out of his house with a laptop who manages to bill $250K a year has a lot more money in his pocket after expenses are paid than a plumber, who has to buy and maintain his own van, put gas in it, buy tools, and consumable supplies. I have no idea how much these expenses cost him, but I can speak somewhat to his staffing expenses. Where I work, when I want to hire someone, the current rate I have to keep in mind for benefits is 24.1% of their salary. In other words, an employee who is paid $18 an hour ($37,584) per year will ultimately cost my budget over $46,000 per year. What do you suppose a halfway decent plumber takes home? $25 an hour? 30? Let's say $25. Factoring in benefits at my employer's rate, that plumber would cost the business owner almost $65,000 per year. Maybe their benefits are cheaper than mine but it's clear that this is a big hit to a small business owner hypothetically pulling down $250K. And then what if the van needs a transmission? What if gas shoots back up over $4 a gallon? There are thousands of what ifs that can affect this guy's bottom line further. By the time this guy gets home to his wife and kids, he's probably not feeling all that rich.

No comments: