Monday, February 2, 2009

50 Greatest Solos

Guitar World's 50 Greatest Guitar Solos. H/T the Porembski Ponderosa

While such lists are obviously subjective, I think this is a halfway decent list. I like the fact that masters like Satch, Vai, Eddie, Yngwie, Eric Johnson, etc. were all honored. And the obligatory icons of rock like Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Gilmour, May, Richards, et al. I like the fact that Ace Frehley was noted. I ALSO like the fact that they told the anti-cliche crowd to go scratch and put Stairway and Freebird at the top.

My only gripes are that Light My Fire and Smells Like Teen Spirit perennially show up on these lists, out of whatever obligatory need the authors have to include them. To put these songs up against songs like Crazy Train, Layla and Voodoo Chile is a joke. And one Metallica is more than enough. AND, Jeff Beck? Hello?

All in all though, not half bad. The guitar nerds always know better than the rock critics.

2 comments:

SK said...

I have to go with the solo in "Hotel California"--not the fastest, but a great mix of melodic notes and sublime chords. Never tire of it.

Saw the Eagles "Live" in Atlanta in May of 2008. Unbelievable how good they were. And to boot, a guy gave us tickets 5 rows from the stage, dead center.

By the way, thanks for the kind words about my pro-life work.

gswhite71 said...

HOLY MOLEY! Scott Klusendorf responds to my blog... about Guitar Solos nonetheless!

I am definitely adding your website to my blogroll, pal. And I meant every word I typed.