Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Racist!

Dennis Prager writes eloquently about a topic that has for some time been under my skin. No pun intended.

I am getting sick and tired of the meme that the only conceivable cause of an Obama loss is white racism. It's such a ubiquitous mantra of the liberal establishment (media, hollywood and the ivory tower, (I'm sure liberals feel shame that such a title for academia has stuck)) that white Americans are racists, one almost forgets that one is being insulted. But it is an insult, and anyone who questions my motives for how I vote can go scratch and mind their own business while they're at it.

As a conservative, it is just a given that I am an agent of satan to the left. (Or I would be, if in fact the left believed in God and the devil and all that). I am resigned to this. But there is something about this racism slander in particular that just drives me up the wall. My "intolerance" for this nonsense is no small part owing to the fact that I went to college during the 90s, which was the great awakening of white liberal guilt (and the fact that I was a man as well meant that I was a candidate for lethal injection). I quickly grew tired of being considered morally suspect then and I have absolutely no time for that crapola now.

I should point out that white liberals consider themselves morally suspect as well. I remember a visit with a very liberal member of my wife's family after she had just seen the movie "Crash." "It's amazing how racist we all are," she remarked. As with most conversations with my wife's family, I let that one slide for the sake of domestic tranquility. But as I left the room, I seem to recall muttering "speak for yourself, dear."

No comments: