Thursday, March 5, 2009

John Frusciante



When I was in college, I was a HUGE Red Hot Chili Peppers fan--in no small measure because of Frusciante's incredible playing. While Anthony Kiedis and Flea garner all the attention as the band's core (or at least its "personality"), John's creative energy and musical brilliance made for an eerily smooth segway (musically at least) for the band after the death of Hillel Slovak. That John's talent held the band together and gave it focus as an artistic force was neither obvious nor appreciated until he left the band post-Blood Sugar Sex Magik for his extended bout with nervous breakdown/heroin addiction/crappy albums/general life destruction. The band tried in vain to create the same magic with Arik Marshall but it was not to be found. Nor, to my great shock and surprise, was a winning combination at hand with guitarist extraordinaire Dave Navarro. My elation at the Jane's Addiction guitarist's recruitment by the band fizzled the first time I heard One Hot Minute.

It was around the time that album came out that I began to mature in my Christian faith, which for me meant a parting of ways with bands like the Chili Peppers. However, I was pleased to hear in 1998 that Frusciante had gotten his life together and rejoined the band. While I haven't purchased anything since One Hot Minute, the singles I've heard on the radio have make it pretty apparent that Frusciante's talent and brilliance haven't been eviscerated by all the smack he's shot. His playing remains inspired. I wish he and the rest of the reformed junkies in that band continued success. And hopefully, someday, peace in Jesus Christ.

No comments: