Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Letter to the Editor, Daily Herald

To: fencepost@dailyherald.com

August 19, 2009

I'm a voter in the 8th district who is absolutely disgusted with the flagrant disregard that Congresswoman Melissa Bean has shown her constituents over the recess.

As a father of three, one of whom has special needs, I have an enormous stake in the health care bill that awaits Congress when it convenes next month. I have called the Congresswoman’s office just about every day since the recess began to inquire about town halls or an opportunity to meet Bean at her office. An enterprising undergrad could fashion a considerably entertaining drinking game out of the stonewalling that met my every call.

Every time the staffer says “the schedule is still being finalized,” take a shot!

Every time they say take your contact info and say “we’ll get back to you, “two shots and a Jäger bomb!"

I did not find out about tonight’s “tele-townhall” as a result of anyone getting back to me. I learned of it when I called Bean’s office yesterday. Bean’s staffer took my phone number and assured me that I would be connected to the conference call.

They were true to their word. I was connected to tonight’s call, but was not one of the lucky few who got to speak to Bean. I listened to the “meeting”, and after Bean disconnected I had the opportunity to make my feelings known in a voice recording that Bean will probably never hear.

This method of communicating with constituents is unacceptable. If we can get out and vote for our public officials, they can take one day per recess to meet with us face to face. Were she otherwise flawless, I would still say that Bean should be defeated in the next election for this snub to the 8th District.

Geoff White

No comments: