Tuesday, December 30, 2008

But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering...

Occasionally I succumb to the temptation to complain about this or that aspect of how my life has turned out thus far. Irrespective of whether I have any right to complain or not, and regardless of what I may or may not have done to change things. (It's hard when you're the only person on earth who recognizes your genius, and that you've obviously were made for greater things. Yuk yuk.)

Given this tendency of mine, I was humbled this morning by Phillipians 2:17, in which the apostle Paul writes "But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all."

If I, Paul, a prisoner, spend the rest of my days rotting in prison, so that you, my friends in Phillipi, may grow in your faith and welcome more into the body of Christ, then I rejoice. Wow.

If my life's purpose, and the sum of its accomplishments, amounted to nothing else that to see my children come to know Christ as Lord, and to see my wife and children grow in their faith--if there were no other accomplishments or victories, and if the remainder were spent slowly dying sitting at a desk pushing paper around, would it still be a good life? Paul says it would be a life to rejoice over.

No comments: